Lionel Messi and Barcelona team mate Neymar are two of the big names contesting the FIFA goal of the season award.
Besides the famous names are a host of unknowns – including a goal from Venezuelan women’s Under 17 midfield Daniuska Rodríguez and goals from top-flight leagues in Malaysia and Sweden.
One of the highlights is the goal of the Euro 2016 finals by Hal Robson-Kanu who was a clubless free agent at the time of the competition.
He has since signed for English Premier League team West Bromwich Albion, where he is yet to score in five appearances.
Football fans around the world can cast a vote for the best goal.
Who is in contention?
The players rated as scoring the best goals are:
- Mario Gaspar (Spain)– Spain v. England, international friendly
- Hlompho Kekana (South Africa) – Cameroon v. South Africa, Africa Cup of Nations qualifier
- Marlone (Brazil)– Corinthians v. Cobresal, Copa Libertadores
- Lionel Messi (Argentina)– USA v. Argentina, Copa América Centenario semi-final
- Neymar (Brazil)– Barcelona v. Villarreal, La Liga (Spain)
- Saúl Ñíguez (Spain)– Atlético Madrid v. Bayern Munich, UEFA Champions League
- Hal Robson-Kanu (Wales)– Wales v. Belgium, UEFA EURO 2016
- Daniuska Rodríguez (Venezuela)– Venezuela v. Colombia, South American U-17 Women’s Football Championship
- Simon Skrabb (Finland)– Gefle v. Åtvidaberg, Allsvenskan league, Sweden
- Mohd Faiz Subri (Malaysia)– Penang v. Pahang, Malaysia Super League
The list will be whittled down to a top three by December 2 and voting will reopen to find the winner.
Vote for the winner
Voting closes on January 9, 2017, when the winner will be announced at the glitzy Best FIFA Football Awards in Zurich.
All the goals can be seen online at the FIFA web site or YouTube
Last year’s winner was outside Wendell Lira of Portuguese side Golanesia, who beat Messi to the post with 47% of the vote against 33%.
Neymar and Messi also competed against each other on 2011, when the Brazilian turned out victor.
Neymar also took third place in 2012 and 2013.
The FIFA Puskas Award was started in 2009 to reward the male or female scorer of the ‘most beautiful’ goal of the season.